All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever before have so lots of scientific breakthroughs and new methods emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and fast way to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will enjoy with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Select the doctor, not the laser. Discover out who will really do your procedure, then inquire about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Choose a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional does not know can hurt you.
4. Ask for details on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. Discover another one if your physician won't inform you. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what measures are required to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterile operating room. Ensure that non reusable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute.
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however don't expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a slightly different outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon in the world cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each client. Be careful of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a hard sell. Go in other places. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision other can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the vision of countless people around the world.